This page is a direct link to the government DVA webpage

If you hit on any of the links, they will take you to the Government DVA website. This is to ensure we are passing on the correct information.

On this page

  1. What are exercise physiology services
  2. Who can receive them
  3. What you can receive
  4. How you access
  5. Things you should know
  6. What to tell us

What are exercise physiology services

Exercise physiology (EP) services help through:

  • the delivery of clinical exercise to manage chronic disease
  • post-hospital exercise rehabilitation for treatment of a major injury or illness

EP services may contribute to the management of: 

  • diabetes
  • cardiovascular disease 
  • osteoporosis 
  • arthritis 
  • cancer
  • chronic muscular conditions

Who can receive them

You may receive EP services if you have an assessed clinical need and a:

And you:

  • have a chronic disease; or 
  • are recovering after a hospital stay for treatment of a major injury or illness

What you can receive

If you are eligible for EP services, your exercise physiologist may:

  • provide you with a treatment plan, including the type, number and frequency of services you require
  • teach you the skills to independently manage your health condition through an exercise regime

EP services are not intended for ongoing treatment.

From 1 October 2019, referrals to this service will be under the Allied Health Services treatment cycle. This means that a referral will last for up to 12 sessions or 1 year, whichever ends first.

These treatment cycles place you at the centre of your care and the general practitioner (GP) as your care coordinator.

There are no limits to the number of treatment cycles you can have.

You can also have:

  • a separate treatment cycle for each allied health service you need; and
  • treatment cycles for different allied health services at the same time

The treatment cycle does not apply to physiotherapy and exercise physiology services for clients who have a Totally and Permanent Incapacitated (TPI) Gold Card. Exercise physiology or physiotherapy services for TPI clients must still be clinically necessary, evidence-based and goals oriented. The treatment cycle will apply to TPI clients for referrals to all other allied health services.

How you access

1. Get a referral to an exercise physiologist covered by the Medicare Benefits Scheme (MBS) from your:

  • general practitioner (GP)
  • medical specialist
  • treating doctor in hospital
  • hospital discharge planner

If you have a current referral your exercise physiologist may refer you to another exercise physiologist.

2. Contact your exercise physiologist to make an appointment. Check that they will accept your Veteran Gold Card or Veteran White Card for their services.

Things you should know

  • We don’t pay for gym memberships or general exercise programs outside of your treatment sessions.
  • You will not need to pay access fees for gyms or pools if they are part of your treatment plan.
  • If you live in permanent residential aged care your eligibility for EP services may change.
  • If you have seen another exercise physiologist in the last 12 months be sure to let your current exercise physiologist know